These are actions which stem from a Judea-Christian belief system.
Preparation: Battling negative spiritual forces should not be entered into lightly or without preparation. Negative spiritual forces can deceive, trick, and create problems. Fasting, praying, confessing, cleansing the house or life of negative focal points (drugs, alcohol, addictive materials, things a person knows are their weaknesses, etc.) may be required. If these are not done, the work is in vain. If acted upon and there is afterwards, a relapse into these behaviors, worse may enter the life or the home.
"Greater is HE that is in Me than He that is in the WORLD".
Prayer of St. Michael
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle;
be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Prayer of Spiritual House Cleansing (as the prayer is prayed anoint the house with blessed oil)
Oh Lord, we honor and praise your name.
We ask you to bless this house; the coming in and the going out.
We ask you to bless each door, each window, and each room.
We ask you bless and guard the safety of those who live here and those who visit.
We ask you to set your guards on every side.
We ask your grace, your mercy, and your love.
Forgive us our sins and failings.
Help us live our lives in love and peace.
In the name of God - we bind any negative spirits, in His name.
In the name of Jesus - we cast out unclean spirits, thoughts, items, behaviors, and desires, in His name.
In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - we cleanse this place, in His name.
Actions for Spiritual Cleanings:
Carrying a cross, holy water, a candle, a bible or other symbols of faith, walk through the house repeating these verses
- "Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken." (Ecclesiastes 4:12)
- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." (I Peter 5:8)
- "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for thou hast been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy." Psalm 61:2-3
- "Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation. God is to us a God of deliverances; and to God the Lord belong escapes from death." Psalm 68:19-20
- "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered; and let those who hate him flee before him. As smoke is driven away, so drive them away; as wax melts before the fire." Psalm 68:1-2
The assumption here is that the ghost is a) a negative force intent on disturbing you and robbing you of needed sleep/energy or b) a neutral force intent on communicating something (a message, an unfinished task, etc.) or c) a neutral force lingering on and needing to be encouraged to 'move on'.
In all cases, it should be remembered the world of the living is for the living. The ghost has moved to another dimension and another form. They no longer have any right to impede any thing in this dimension. Take back the night and inform the spirit/ghost that they are not welcome. You will not allow them to continue to influence, control, or interact to disturb your life or your sleep.
Other House Blessing Rituals:
House Blessing (Catholic)
Native American Smudging Ceremony
Celtic Prayers and Blessings